The French department focuses on six main aspects of learning a language. Skills teaching is of paramount importance in the development of language learning. The six main aspects of focus are:
- Listening and speaking:
- Reading and writing:
- Intercultural understanding:
- Knowledge about the language:
- Language learning strategies:
- Working as an independent and autonomous learner
The aims are to encourage students to:
- develop an interest in, and an enthusiasm for, language learning;
- develop understanding of the language in a variety of contexts and genres;
- communicate confidently, clearly and effectively in the language for a range of purposes;
- develop awareness and understanding of the contemporary society, cultural background and heritage of countries or communities where the language is spoken;
- consider their study of the language in a broader context. Students work with authentic documents and are introduced to different levels of challenge catering for their needs.
Years 7 to 9 students follow the National Curriculum for Key Stage 3. Year 10 and 11 students follow the AQA GCSE course. Year 12 and 13 students follow the AQA A level course.
The French Department has an open door policy and students are welcome to ask staff for help whenever it is needed. Furthermore, sixth formers also mentor younger students at KS 3 and 4. Help sessions are also run at lunchtime.
The French department caters for all needs in lessons and more able students are set challenging tasks and encouraged to become more inquisitive researchers and learners, going beyond the curriculum in their own work and reading.
Throughout the year, students are offered opportunities to enrich their learning through authentic documents, cultural aspects, French magazines or newspapers, trips (Normandy, French exchange), videos, ICT language sites.
BBC French bitezise : http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/french/
Sam Learning : https://www.samlearning.com/
AQA GCSE specification http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/languages/gcse/french-8658
AQA AS French specification http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/languages/as-and-a-level/french-7651
AQA A-Level French specification: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/languages/as-and-a-level/french-7652